Saturday, October 21, 2006

IronMan in Kona today


** I have just tracked the winners on line... the winning time for men was 8:11:56 the fastest woman was 9:18:31 Is that just the craziest thing ever they did amazing physical feats, all in 8 and 9 hours! wow I would love to be that in shape!**
While the actual race won't air on tv until Nov... THE Triathlon, of all triathlon's is happening today in Kona, Hawaii. Would I want to do it someday, well no in a nutshell. It is 2.4 mile swim in the ocean, 112 mile bike ride and a marathon if you weren't tired enough to round out the end of this grueling sport! 26.2 miles is a marathon if you were wondering.

If you watched the Amazing Race that is airing right now - you will see the amputee, well she is in the race today - she is one determined woman.... does it matter I think she should dump the guy she is with on the show? No probably not, but I think she deserves a little more out of a man... just my thought.


I have a link to the side if you are interested in hearing the latest and greatest on this wonderful, pyschotic sport! I 'll let you know who wins!

I am thinking I may work my way up to a 1/2 ironman, but I want a few more race seasons in before I try that. That would be 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, and 13.1 mile run. . . I feel crazy for even writing that now... however I have coaught the fever of the sport and am ready to train, train, train!!!

** You might have seen this in an email... but here is the story of one of the most amazing fathers... This was written by the triathlete blogger... The first time I remember seeing Rick and Dick Hoyt, it was at a sprint triathlon in Canada. I was amazed to see what Dick did … towing his son in a raft, running up a steep hill with Rick in his arms, pedaling that heavy-duty bike and pushing Rick along in the running stroller.The story is likely all-too-familiar to you all. At birth the umbilical chord suffocated Rick for a time leaving him paralyzed and unable to talk. In 1977, Rick asked Dick to push him through a running race. Within a few years they had completed their first marathon. Then came triathlon events. Then came the Ironman.
The Hoyts competed at my first Ironman, the Bud Light Endurance Triathlon in Cape Cod. While they were in the race, I somehow managed to miss their exploits. In 1988 the Hoyt’s first attempted the Ironman World Championship here in Kona. Unfortunately they didn’t finish. A year later, they did – I was there that year, too, but once again I was racing, and managed to be oblivious to their achievement.
I saw them on the television coverage, though … who could ever forget that.
I was here a decade later, and won’t ever forget watching them come across the line.
Tomorrow will be the last time we’ll ever see the Hoyt’s compete here in Kona. At 66, Dick feels it’s time to change his focus to the shorter Ironman 70.3 series.
It’s been quite a run for the Hoyts. They are possibly the most inspiring people I’ve ever seen here in Kona … their final appearance here at the Ford Ironman World Championship adds another amazing dimension to what is shaping up to be an incredible event. **


I know I know I can't stop writting about triathlons! Amazing people doing extraordianry things!

No comments: