Monday, January 22, 2007

Complacent

This past weekend I found out that someone I used to work with had passed away at the young age of 46. Although I hadn't seen him in a few years, it really put life back into perspective for me. Life is too short to hold onto all the hurts of the past. The company we had worked together had its ups and downs. I must say it was some of the best work experience I ever got, followed by the worst work experiences I ever had. But years have passed and I can now look at that time remembering the fun times, the great people I worked with and the good we were trying to do. Never mind that the product never performed how we thought it should. The concept was noble. Although I do not take life for granted (how could I after living through this summer with Derrick) but I do get complacent sometimes. Complacent with friendships, it is easy to get involved with family stuff and forget to make time for friends and their families.

I saw many friends on Sunday that I haven't seen in a while. I was told by a few friends (love you guys!) that I am not the best at returning calls or messages. I have to admit I am not great at it. My intentions are good. But put a 2 and 3 year old kids in the mix, and it is hard to pick up the phone without something causing my distraction! Seeing a lot of people that I hadn't seen in a while made me realize that I need to reach out a bit more and call people.

I was also asked about our church. We have been going there almost a year now. We love it! Not that anything was wrong with our old church, absolutely not it was just time for a new season for us. We are actually beginning a new service that is going to be on Wed nights. Derrick has been asked to help run it. So this will be a new and fun chapter in our lives.

It is always good to see people you haven't seen in a while, for me it makes me remember all the fun times we have had. One couple we saw we practically lived at their house when we first got married. Then well kids and life happens and you kind of go your separate ways. The cool thing is, that we will always remain friends even if we don't see each other but once a year. Hopefully it won't be that long though!

So I guess my new year's resolution would be to return calls in a more timely matter. The only way to find out if I am doing that is to call me!

1 comment:

MKD said...

And yet we still somehow communicate via these blogs! How the world has changed!!

Cruises I don't do & actually never did; seperate dept. I'm not in it anymore though in my new position! sorry! I totally think working for the cruise dept would be awesome!