Thursday, November 30, 2006

Back Ground

Let me give you a little back ground on my athletic accomplishments. (or lack there of) So that you may understand why it is a big deal to me to go and compete in sports. I use the term compete loosely as it did take me twice as long to finish the 1/2 marathon as the winner of the over all full marathon!

You see I was not the avid athlete growing up. Yes I played sports. I played on the softball team, basket ball (at a young age) and soccer. Basketball I quickly stopped playing before junior high I was awful at it (never really liked it -still don't) Soccer, well I loved playing soccer, I played up into high school. I thought I was pretty good at it. Until my Senior year **sniff sniff bring out the tissues** when I didn't make the varsity team. Yes this was a big slap in the face, don't you automatically make Varsity just because you are a senior? Apparently not. Now I will tell you this. I believe the 4 years I was in high school our Soccer team went to state each year. We had a lot of great players... was I really not good enough to make it? Well the coach thought so. So my senior year I quit playing soccer and most sports all together... I mentioned I played softball too **sniff sniff again** you can guess what happened during the spring practices... yes it was pretty humiliating for me. Anyway.....

Skip forward 15 or so years... am I dating myself here?

I wanted to bring a new challenge into my life and do something that I didn't think was possible for me to do. After all I had witnessed a miracle take place with my husband being able to walk so why not do something extraordinary in my life? That is when I trained for the triathlon, and then the 1/2 marathon. So if you were ever wondering why is it such a big deal to her to finish something.... well there you have it all the gritty, ugly embarrassing details of my life in high school. Did I mention I didn't care for high school? lol I didn't *oh poor me!* College years? you ask? well that was a different story! Thank God. I love the University of Washington it was great!

So now you know why me taking on an athletic endeavors is such a big deal to me.

No comments: