Thursday, January 08, 2009

Flooding


The Weather channel joked it was the apocalypse, with flooding in Pacific North West and snow and ice storms in the East. . . It certainly looks that way - but the sky hasn't opened up yet with the voice of God so all is good right now. We live a block from the Cedar river, but we are in no danger of flooding and they say it crested at 10am this morning. I know people including family that have been evacuated as of late last night. If watching The Weather channel.(This picture is next to the running trail I take all the time - needless to say the running trail is under water - 2 feet of it!)
We have family and friends that were evacuated - As far as I know their homes are safe, so that is great news. It is a bit surreal to drive around the area and see the waters so high. We live near a golf course - across the street from our housing development and well, it is almost all under water - nice muddy, brown water - I called a friend just 6 miles from us, his home is ok, but he is stuck in his house, literally can't get out. Two of the major roads are closed and his car isn't high enough to get out. I told him we could come and rescue him if needed later tonight as the water level is slowly going down on that river. My SUV has a lift on it, and if needed I could test it - however I am not in favor of driving around barricades into unknown depths of water - even if it does look fun - He said he is ok with food for a couple of days so we will see what happens. I think he has hip waders, so we could probably meet him on higher ground. Thought I would give a quick update for those of you out of town on what was happening here around Seattle.

3 comments:

Viv said...

Hope the waters go down soon. Stay safe...

Al's CL Reviews said...

Wow!
Stay safe!

Anne said...

Hey! I saw your picture of the ferry and mountains on Al's blog and got homesick! My grandparents used to live right ON the banks of the Cedar river. Glad you're ok. I'll check out your blog more often now so I can really be homesick!