Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Heroes

I couldn't help but to write a tribute today to those that lost their lives in the attacks of September 11.

After witnessing the horrors of the attacks, I vowed not to take any days for granted. My security of "living in the US" was taken on that fateful day. But rather to live in fear, I say let's actually LIVE each day. Let's live for someone besides ourselves. Let's reach out and make a difference in other people's lives. Derrick has a wonderful saying of "Righteous Anger" Am I angry about what happened? Heck yes, who wouldn't be? Lives were lost. It is ok to be angry, it is what we call righteous anger.

Righteous – Meeting the standards of what is right and just.
Anger – A feeling of great displeasure or hostility.

Kind of describes the attacks to a tee for me. But what do you do with the Righteous Anger? Everyone has to ask themselves what they will do with the righteous anger they feel or felt regarding the attacks, I for one, do not want to live in fear so I live each day, loving and caring for my family and friends. I strive to do things to make each day truly count. Other people have gone on to start some amazing foundations for those lost on 9/11/01

One such amazing story is of a firefighter who was on his way home after his shift ended the morning 9/11.

When Stephen heard on his scanner that the World Trade Center had been hit, he turned his vehicle around and headed towards the site. When his truck was prohibited from entering the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel, typical of him, he raced on foot towards the site with his gear strapped to his back.
He was last seen alive on West and Liberty Streets where he, more than likely, went looking for his Squad, all of whom perished.

He raced approx 3.1 miles from the tunnel to the towers complete with gear on his back! Wow! I can run the 3.1 but I don't know if I want to do it loaded with gear! His family has set up a memorial run to retrace his footsteps (footsteps of a hero) on that fateful day. I would like to go and run the run, it is Sep 30th this year(my cousin is getting married that weekend!) , maybe next year! Truly his family is making a difference by setting up this run and raising $500,000 for a burn foundation. Amazing ! they have turned righteous anger into something very positive!

What will you do with your Righteous Anger?

No comments: