Thursday, June 15, 2006

It's the little things in life that make a BIG difference

This is pretty heavy for a blog I know - But I had some emails that bounced back - cuz I am not great about updating my email addresses! Sorry. I will do it promptly from now on. So I thought I would post and maybe someone would read it that it could benefit...Here is the email I sent.

I wanted to send out this important message to all of my friends and family as a warning to families about something that can be prevented...


As many of you know Derrick is a chaplain in a neighboring community. By the grace of God Derrick did not get this chaplain call through unforseen circumstances (I thank God because it has already rocked us to the core and I am certain had Derrick gotten the page that it would take a while for him to get any of the images out of his head.) Last night a 3 and a half year old little boy after his parents had put him to bed, got up and walked out of the front door. For any of you with kids, about this age it is when they start to figure out how to open the deadbolt! John Isaac our little one, has just figured this out in the past month. Anyway the little boy walked out the door and into the street and was hit by a car and killed. My heart grieves for this family, as it is something that I am sure they didn't think of yet something that could have been prevented. I went today to the local Do It hardware store and bought some $2.49 locks to put up high on our two main doors out of the house. I also got something for the sliders, besides the piece of wood which a child can easily move.

I am sending this to you, because the story has really shaken both Derrick and I up, and we hope that if you have children or Grandchildren, that you will take this warning and install simple locks so another family doesn't have to go throught the pain and agony of losing a child.


On another note as a warning to parents is summer time is fast approaching. Every year children die because they play or are left in vehicles that get too hot. Please do not ever let your child play in your vehicle for fun. Lock your car doors (even in the garage) so a child doesn't climb in and then get stuck and can not get out. Last year in the same community a little boy was killed because he went to play in the car, and then couldn't get out. It was 85 degrees. The boy died. The family didn't make it through the crisis and have since divorced. Again something that people might not be aware of but that can be prevented.


Thank you all for your time, and I hope you do pass this along to anyone with kids, it is truly on my heart to get this warning out there....

3 comments:

Parties by Design said...

Thanks Emily for the warning,its too bad it takes someones loss for us to remember the simple things that couls save our own children.

Unknown said...

Hey dear cousin Emily - love your blog, thanks for the message.... recently in our area a 4 year old child drowned in a space of a few minutes at a summer bbq where the parents were all visiting and the child slipped into a hot tub unsupervised. We can never be too careful, even in an environment full of adults.... take care and thanks again for the important reminder.... Your Cousin, H.

Carpenters said...

Flag locks I think are what you are talking about and yes they are such a life-saver to keep your child indoors. Also those little plastic things you can stick over the handles on the other doors in your house help keep them indoors as well. I can't even imagine that families grief.